Have you ever had the unfortunate experience of being stung by a bug, then soon after, getting stung again, and asking yourself: “I thought bees died after they sting people??” If so, chances are pretty good that you weren’t stung by a bee – you were probably stung by a wasp. They can sting multiple times before they die, and are generally more aggressive than bees.
It’s easy to mix them up – both insects are mostly yellow, they both build nests, and they both make a buzzing sound as they fly. In both cases, they can cause severe allergic reactions that can even lead to death.
In some cases, wasps can actually be beneficial to the ecosystem. More often than not, though, they may build their nest too close to (or on, or even inside!) your home. If you need to remove their nest, it may be a good idea to do so at night, since they’re generally less active at that time.