As summer starts to get into full swing, our families are looking to spend more and more time outdoors. This can be a great thing! Some of the best memories are made in the summertime. To help you avoid the bad memories that come from poison ivy, oak, and sumac, here are some quick tips to help you keep away from toxicodendron. (That’s the scientific name for those plants if you couldn’t tell!)
- Familiarize yourself with what toxicodendron looks like. It can naturally be difficult to avoid something that you can’t identify. A brief internet search can give you plenty of material to work with.
- When working in your yard to remove it, wear gloves, long sleeves, and pants. This may be difficult in the summer heat, but it’s worth it. Wash your clothes immediately when you go inside.
- Never, ever burn poison ivy, oak, or sumac. The smoke that comes from burning these plants can be very harmful to your lungs and eyes.